Monday, April 12, 2010

Results from geneticist appointment


Wow. We were blown away, about as blown away as we were when we heard that DH had a balanced translocation. We went in there expecting the worst, bad outcome but saints be praised - there is a silver lining in all of this!

Dr. P explained to us that there are many different translocations that affect people with worse outcomes for some than others. Of all the bt we could have, where DH has his is the best of all of them! His is on chromosome 9 and instead of being broken and reattached like some, his is just inverted from A B C D to A C B D. The closer the break is to the middle of the chromosome, the better. So his is break at q1 which is pretty promising. She said, "Do I think you will be able to carry a normal, healthy child together? Absolutely. (I had to turn my ears out a la George Bailey from It's a Wonderful Life) and say, What's that Doctor??? She said more than likely, like Dr. Gianna told me is her problem, that our rpl is a combination of problems: my mthfr, this inverted chromosome, my age, and who knows what else - I still have a couple other tests to go. There are greater risks with breaks on chromosome 13, 21, 17, and others, but 9 does not show greater incidents in birth defects really only a higher incident in miscarriage.
The most common inversion seen in humans is on chromosome 9, at inv(9)(p11q12). This inversion is generally considered to have no deleterious or harmful effects, but there is some evidence it leads to an increased risk for miscarriage for about 30% of affected couples.


Of course I googled it and found some conflicting material, but I am not doing that anymore. I have to trust the geneticist, she has years and years of practice. She will be sending us a letter detailing exactly what she said to us and read to us about his specific inversion, but the great thing is that she used the word, "ABSOLUTELY".

So, next up is hsg test Wednesday @ 3 and then my progesterone checked the next week. We go back to talk to our RE May 15 and I guess she will tell us what to do next. I am in no rush this time. After my other 2 losses all I wanted to do was get pregnant again quickly, but this time, I want all tests done, a treatment regimen if possible, and a few months for my body to heal.

Thanks to all of you for your prayers this morning - JOY BEYOND THE CROSS - thank you IMMENSELY for the Mary undoer of knots novena book. She undid our knots for dang sure! You were so wise to send that to us - and I am grateful.

We are still going to the adoption meeting tomorrow night in Memphis. Blake is still onboard somewhat and maybe God is calling us to have both types of children in our lives? :)

13 comments:

  1. Praising God over here in MN! Don't thank me, thank the Holy Spirit. Seriously, if the computer wouldn't have gone down when I was trying to check out at the book store a few weeks back, I wouldn't have had to wait (albeit impatiently) and look down and see that novena book sitting there on the register shelf. I don't know, it just seemed like I had to have it and I picked it up and threw it on the pile of stuff. HS rocks! I got some knots over here that I need untying so I am going to start relying on her heavily as well! I am glad you had a great appt and I will keep praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that your appointment went well and you got good news. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear there is a silver lining!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you received such positive news. I will continue to keep you both in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yippee! This is such a relief. God bless you as you go forward from here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, your patron saints and guardian angels went to work big time! So glad you got good and encouraging news!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo! What great news! I remembered that our appointments were going to be on the same day and I offered up my rosary for you this morning. My appointment went well too! What a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news. I'm so glad!! I can't wait to hear what your plan of action is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Que bonisimo! Lea mi e-mail. Es en ingles porque no se como usar palabras tecnicas en espanol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is GREAT news!!!! I am so glad that the appointment went in total reverse of what you were thinking!!!! Good luck on your HSG on Wed. I sure wish I could have gotten mine.... but God works in mysterious ways so maybe there is a reason for us! I have to believe that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praise God. So glad to hear it, and that you're getting everything checked out. Your heart (and your body) have taken a beating lately, and soon you'll be in tip-top shape to bring home a LO!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking of you and glad to hear good news from the appointment. Will be looking forward to hearing about the adoption meeting you attended. My hubby and I are starting to go down that road, too, with the exact same thoughts... maybe God has planned for us to be parents to both adopted and natural-born children and we are to open our hearts to whatever He brings our way!

    ReplyDelete